Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Those darn PUGs.

So last Friday night I ran my first instance since turning 70. Tack came with and we had to piece together a group since we are still not in a “real” guild. So we picked up a tank, a healer, and another hunter. We ran Shadow Labs. I think it was Shadow Labs…is that where you start getting the Karazan key fragments? Ah, anyways. It was bad. Like really, really bad. So our tank couldn’t keep agro on anything and our healer couldn’t heal much and the hunter traps just could hold.

The only bright side was that I was out DPSing everyone by at least 200. Which felt really good for about a minute. Since our tank was having issues it meant that the priest and I were top on the stomping list. So really it just meant I was dieing first and most frequently.

So this brings me to my questions about the dynamics of a group. In my mind, a group theoretically should function as follows: the tank holds the mobs, the healer heals the tank, and the dps burns down the mobs. If there are multiple mobs the group should use crowd control to cut down the number of mobs that the tank needs to deal with.

In our group, the tank was taking on one mob at a time leaving all the others (sometimes 3 or 4) to be trapped or tanked by the pets. Of course this didn’t work and we wiped multiple times before everyone just flat out quit. ( = No key fragment for me.)

So a tank should be able to take on more than one mob at a time right? Or can’t they? I’ve never done these high-end instances before and I’d like to get some feedback before I jump to conclusions.

In the tanks defense, I do believe that he was a nice person and felt really terrible that he wasn’t doing well. I think he was making an effort and for whatever reason just couldn’t get it to work. It turns out that the 3 people we picked up were all in the same guild and the other two were talking trash about him in guild chat (super uncool), which he found out about and felt terrible and it was all very sad.

If anyone could share some experiences that would be awesome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I run PuGs alot as was guildess for long time and just joined one recently (as of last night from some peopel I ran with). Anyway from what I have noticed on tanks is it depends on gear and class of tank. I have found that Palas (AKA Tankadins) and Druids do good on holding/tanking multiple mobs and warriors can but better on one on one. But alot of it depends on gear for them and proper heals.

Also as for Shadow labs, I have found that place one of the more difficult in the room before the second boss as you have some 6 mob pulls. The key is having a good group who works well together and knows there parts. If anyone fails doing it on those pulls more than likely look for a wipe. Best is to have 3 CCs (but have done with 2 hunters and no other support as pets offtanked).

But good luck on getting Kara keyed hoep to read more of your times in Azeroth.

*Waves*

Tox said...

Ya, I've had difficulties with PUGing Shadow Labs as well, mostly because all the good tanks have guilds and rarely need to go looking for groups :P But ya, since I've started doing it with my guild it's become a cake walk, especially since we've all been working together since we were in our 30s and know our roles very thoroughly. Hell, we've even done it with a Holy Pally tanking, and the only time he would lose aggro is if he was killed, which pretty much didn't happen (We love our priests :P).

On the tanking note, I normally run with pally tanks, who often hold 2-3 mobs while the hunters cc what they can. It seems to work quite nicely actually, you should try it sometime :P

Good Hunting,
Tox

Tox said...

Ooh, better idea! Get yourself some ice cream, that stuff helps every situation. No, seriously, get some ice cream, you deserve it.

littleblackkitty said...

Thanks for the tips everyone. Hopefully I'll get to play Wow again someday. :) Lol. I've been so busy for the last couple of days I haven't even gotten to log in and check my auctions. That's right, it's been days since I've played. /dramatic sigh of anguish.

Anonymous said...

Agree with the guys before me, but I'd like to add one thing. If the tank is having aggro issues, you really should lower your dps. Let him keep aggro even though it takes longer to burn the mobs down, but it'll spare your healer for a lot of hazzle - and perhaps a few wipes :)

As a tank the worst thing I can encounter is dps that just let loose without me having a chance to gain aggro. Most often I can keep up, but if something goes wrong I'll not only have to work hard to keep the initial aggro, but also try desperate to get on top of the new shit coming down on us :)

Of course if you managed a dps +200 within your threatmeter limits, props to you! :D

Rusty said...

A warrior can tank multiple mobs with the right strategy. I use a mouseover+C to place a Sunder Armor on mobs, so the skull gets a sunder, the X gets a sunder, etc, etc.

This macro allows me to continue to autohit the skull without switching targets to place the sunders.

In my experience, the main thing that makes a great tank is the attitude that "all the mobs MUST be hitting me and me only!" And then proceeds to do everything in their power to make that happen.

Attitude can make up for lack of gear or skill because it provides the motivation for getting the gear/skill.

On that note, I must admit that as a DPSer, I love me some Pally tanking...lol.